Loki is Meh but.........




Loki Season 1 review and all the marvel fans will hate it.

Now I consider my self to be a pretty decent Marvel fan and usually I am pretty excited about what ever is about to happen in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The Infinity War Saga was the peak of the MCU and every since then, Marvel has taken a slow approach and is slowly setting up future events and when it comes to setting up the future of the MCU, Loki probably plays a really big role in it at least looking from the season finale point of view.

This new phase of MCU is the first time that Marvel has decided to do TV series. Sure people will say that the Netflix Marvel series are also a part of the MCU but they are different and were not really handled by Disney or Marvel Studios. Out of the all the Disney MCU shows, I was mostly excited about Loki. I really wanted to see what will the writers do with a time remnant version of Loki and after watching the show, I can say that the idea about how they wanted to use Loki in this series was really great and the idea of Time Variance Authority(TVA), an organization that fixes problems in time was also pretty solid and I really love Time Travel. And then I started watching and at the same time kept waiting for the story to actually hit me but as I watched more and more, I realized that the story is not really holding my interest too much.

The Positives

Lets get the positives out of the way first.

The best part of this series is absolutely Tom Hiddleston. His emotions, his expressions and pretty much everything that he does to portray Loki is absolutely brilliant. He gives his heart and sole as Loki and he just proves that he was born to play Loki and nobody could have been better. Owen Wilson was a shocker but he was really good as Mobius and the friendship dynamic between Loki and Mobius was really well done. Sophia Di Martino was also really good as Sylvie. The rest of the supporting cast was also really good.

The cinematography and the style of the series was also really good. The set design of the TVA was fantastic and it had like 90s vibe to it and it fit really well as a time travel organization headquarters. Visuals on different planets was also really good and Marvel did not skimp on the budget and the visuals looked every bit as good they should look.

It had some strong character moments for Loki although they were really few and far in between. The different versions of Loki were pretty good and were decently funny but they are not there for too long and I would have loved to see more of them.

The most Important of them all, the ending. Now I will say I DID NOT AT ALL like the finale of the series but the Last few minutes are really interesting and sets up massive changes for the future of MCU and successfully made me excited  for what is to come and the next big bad of the series.

The Negatives

In all honesty, I did not like the story really. It was really interesting concept but still somehow, it failed to really grab my attention for the most part and the little moments were the only thing that kept me going. The story ended on strong and interesting note though.

The TVA were not given enough importance it seems. I was never really able to take their work seriously and even the time travel concept I was unable to take seriously. It almost felt the TVA was just a plot device or I should say the TVA were just a means to an end.

The show also really seems confused whether it wants a serious tone or a light hearted comedic tone.
Sometimes the show tries to say that it is dark and wants us to take it seriously and then out of nowhere it wants to be funny and the jokes do not land as they should and I never even smirked at the jokes which was shocker to me because I believe MCU content is really good in balancing the light hearted tone and the Darker tone. The different versions of Loki were the only think that were somewhat funny but even they were not enough to make me smirk.

Loki the character himself felt really under utilized to me. He is such a complex character but the show never jumps into the psychological side of the character in depth. Lots of his inner problems and struggles are just solved through a couple dialogs and a few words and it was also the same case with Female Loki and it really disappointed me.

The show is not too long and only 6 episodes and yet it feels like a drag sometimes specially in episode 3 where most of the episode is spent walking and episode 6 where its all uninteresting talking. Usually I like calm moments in episodes like this and it is probably the reason why Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 1 is my favorite Harry Potter Film but when it comes to Loki, those calm moments do not feel earned really and so they were pretty boring to watch.

The Finale was painfully boring and I like they tried to do it differently instead of another CGI boss battle but boy it did not work as it should have and it was just boring and I was pretty much sleeping while watching that. Like it was not serious enough it was forcefully funny to the point it was uninteresting.

Conclusion

It may seem like absolutely hate this show but I do not hate this show at all but being honest, I do not like it either. Overall thinking about the whole show, the problem really is that the show is less a good show about Loki and more of a set up show that sets up the future of MCU and I am curious to see how it will affect Spider Man No Way Home and Doctor Strange Multiverse Of Madness but overall on its own, it was a meh show at best. It is watchable I think and I would have had more fun if I kept my expectations low.

Score - 5.5/10

Comments

Popular Posts