1917 is one of the best visual and cinematic experience!



Went in with no expectations and no information about what I was really getting into.Did not even watch the trailer.It just kept appearing at the corner of the movies list.I just ignored it and I had no intention of watching.But every time I browsed BookMyShow, it was always there.It had been there for days now and now I was curious because a movie like that which I never even heard about should have been gone but no it was just there.Even BookMyShow started playing mind games with me and started sending me notifications to book the tickets before it disappears from the theaters.These apps are really scary as they know about our feelings more than we ourselves do.'FINE', I said as I decided to finally go and watch it.And then the movie starts and a minute passes and its a starts like a typical war film with a couple sleeping soldiers.A couple minutes pass and I notice something is going on with the camera work.Five minutes have gone now and now I am getting the gist of what is happening with the camerawork.Ten minutes pass and I am sold!I am seeing something I did not even thought I needed to see!Fifteen minutes have gone by and so far not even a single cut!The scenes just keep on going,the camera keeps on moving and our main characters just keep moving and the movie just keeps progressing and there are no cuts!It is all ONE-SHOT and now I know that the entire movie will be completely one-shot with zero cuts as we follow two British Soldiers who have to travel a long way to complete a very impossible mission against all odds as they are surrounded by the Germans from everyside.Yes this film is set during the first World War and there are not a lot of films that are based on that period.It is a gruesome story of soldiers who just wanted to go back home but they just can't.They are fighting but they just no longer want to.They question themselves and they think that maybe it is just better to just give up but that is a choice they do not have.They have to carry this impossible mission and go through the German territory against all odds because the lives of 1600 soldiers are at stake and if they don't make it in time, then would have to live with the guilt of failing 1600 comrades.But as much of a good war film it is, the visuals are what we really watch this film for.The camera just keeps going from Point A to Point B without stopping, all one shot and no matter how much I tried I just could not find a hidden cut.The only visible cut is the Interval and it is the only cut that was meant to be visible.It must have been so hard to shoot this film.They must have had to do and redo different one shot takes for different scenes and then patch it all up in post production editing without causing any form of continuity error between different segments considering it is a war scene and it has massive sets and explosions and they cannot afford to mess up a scene.The one shot really improves the immersion and emotions as you feel the events with much richness.The first act is slow and steady with tension building and some unexpected shocks but the second half is the real juice and meat of the film where the film delivers some of the most bombastic sequences and amazing visuals and scenery.The visuals in the second half are so good that my eyes were glued to the screen and it was so pleasing to the eye.It was beautiful and the amazing background score in the second act are absolutely a blessing to the ears.Overall, I was getting chills and was speechless throughout the second act.Director Sam Mendes did the impossible!I am lucky that I watched it on the big screen before it disappeared and everyone who wants an amazing World War 1 based cinematic experience should just watch it before it gets removed or else they will probably regret not watching.This movie from a technical point reminded me a lot of Birdman and The Revenant.From a war perspective it reminded me of Saving Private Ryan as this film is a journey.Also there are cameo appearances from some really popular actors that I just cannot spoil.

Comments

Popular Posts